Monday, December 21, 2009










We sit here at 9pm. The electricity just went out which is weird. It normally only goes out between 4 and 6:30. Luckily we have a little juice left in the computer. It's been a pretty low key day. Tomorrow we get crazy trying to finish up the last bit of paperwork here in Loja. We went to the travel agency and reserved tickets to Guayaquil. We can't buy them yet because tomorrow we hope to have to get Marcelo's identification card with his new last name on it which is necessary to buy plane tickets. So here's what has to happen in the next 60 hours. We work here in Loja to get Marcelo's birth certificate cancelled with his old names, new one made, identification card made, and passport ready to go. In the meantime our lawyer her will be flying to Quito to meet with the main adoption people in the country to get a specific paper needed for his Visa. When all that is done we all fly to Guayaquil and meet our lawyer there, we then will go to the US Consulate and hope to obtain a Visa for Marcelo within a few hours time. Once all that happens we then will need to find last minute plane tickets to the USA hopefully on Christmas Eve in time to have Christmas with the whole family. Keep praying. We know all things are possible if it's the Lord's will. We feel like we've done all that we can now and we are letting it go and putting it into His hands. While Jill and Marcelo went to the park I went to get cash out of th e ATM. It took 5 different ATM's until I could get enough out. They aren't real reliable here. There's no guarantee they'll have enough money in them. After all that this morning we couldn't find a taxi home, everyone was full. I think a lot of people are in town for the holidays. So we walked the couple miles back to the house and relaxed.We also said goodbye to Rosa who has cleaned the house and done some laundry a couple times a week for us. I swear we are both standing at the same level in the picture. I felt a little under the weather and Jill as always took great care of me. She even made the herbal tea drink here that's called Horchata. It's very healing is what we hear. I do feel better now I must admit. Marcelo has seemed today to understand more fully that we're leaving and that yesterday was his last time seeing his friends for a while. He's had a couple sad moments but he's done well. He even seemed to be closer to us, in a more family way if that makes sense. He was really cute today washing the dinner dishes. He had on the gloves and my head flashlight (because the lights were out and we use it when it's darker in the house). It was really cute. It's been hard hearing all the kids at home have been sick with the flu. We are eternally grateful for all those who have helped with our kids at home. We know that we'll probably never know everyone who has helped us in so many ways and we wish we could thank everyone in person. We really feel blessed to have such great family, friends, and employees who have done and sacrificed for us. Thank you forever. We love you all and hope to see you soon.

Rich

4 comments:

jasonandkaren said...

Praying for you guys!!! I've loved following the blog & getting to see the pictures of your sweet Marcelo. He's so cute! I went to Heather's class last week & got to talk with Sarah. She is such a SWEET girl & was doing great! Hoping & praying you guys get all papers you need in the time you need them & that it's God's will for you all to be together on Christmas this year!! Safe travels home!

Anonymous said...

Power outage....UMMMMM...seems about the same time the power went out in Brooklyn's room...really strange...went completely dark and then back on..kind of weird...well, hope you're getting your rest...going to be a big day to test your patience! :) Looks like the heat pump might be going out in the wing...joys of home ownership! :0) Give Jill and Marcelo our love! Safe travels. -Big Daddie-

Jeff, Erin, Macy, Owen& June said...

Holy cow! I have missed a few days and I had to catch up! I am just sitting here bawling as I read your posts! It just brings back such tender memories and I can't help but feel for your cute little guy! He seems like he is amazing! I can't imagine how huge this must feel to him. I think of you guys everyday! We are praying for you and hope you can make it back in time for Christmas! But if you don't a day or two after isn't too bad! I love that your kids at home said they would wait to have Christmas together! It will be perfect no matter when it iS! It broke my heart to hear you tell of the little guys story that you are holding in your pic. I wish I could just come right down and pick him up!!! Thank you for sharing your experience! I am so happy for you guys that your found your son! He is just beautiful! Good luck with everything!

Chrystal said...

I have been following your story too. It has been so sweet and uplifting to read. I think you all are amazing. I had no idea how hard and complicated adoption could be. Marcelo is adorable and will be a great addition to your family. I hope you all make it home for Chistmas it would be such a great gift to be all together as a family. Travel safe.
Love,
Cuz Chrystal