Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Dec.1 and all the Christmas is being put up in the city. At the corner of our hotel there are tons of decorationas and a huge manger.....very pretty.
Since it is "sports week" here we wake up every morning at 6:30 to the music to start the games. We aren't getting great sleep, in fact we slept in different beds last night hoping it would help, but it didn't. We have gone to a king size bed to a double size and no air conditioning. All is good though.
Today, we got to go out on our own with Marcelo. He was very nervous at first, but ended up relaxing and enjoying us. We taught him 1 2 3 Jump in English. It is so cute how he says it. Marcelo is a big boy....a heavy boy. So, my arms are getting a huge workout.
We got to walk around a lake, go to some shops, we ate lunch, and we went back to our hotel room to allow him to get used to it. He did really well. I think I am over dosing him on sugar, though :) He loves smarties, fruit snacks and suckers. He especially loves the water bottles. He drinks them nonstop.
It is amazing how this has been so emotional for us all. I woke this morning thinking, " what are we doing to this boy, taking him away from everything he knows. Life is going to be so different, Am I really ready for this." Then I thought, "Oh, I have thought this with each child." Funny how that works.
Tomorrow he comes overnight with us and we won't take him back to see the "hogar"for several days. I think he will be ready tomorrow. Today, he wanted to go with us when we left, but he is still holding on a bit to his security. It should be really interesting tomorrow night. This poor 5 year old boy is having to make life changes. It is alot to ask of a child. It is like the Hermana said, " It is tough at first but it is good for them in the long run."
She compared it to a plant...It is hard on a plant when you move it to another spot, but soon it is given what it needs to grow big and strong. Marcelo is a strong, brave boy. I just pray he can feel our love and feel peace and comfort even when he is scared.

6 comments:

Carr Company said...

It is so beautiful for you to share a little bit of this journey! Thank you. I love reading every word and feeling every tug of the heart!

Super Star said...

AHHH! he is amazing. i can not wait to welcome him with open arms to our family! he sounds so cute
i can't wait
im so so excited and can't wait to meet him soon:D

Unknown said...

The love and devotion that i read in this life changing event moves me! Every child deserves... just what you and doc along with your family and church family are offering! I would say that Marcelo is blessed but in fact everyone involved in this is blessed! My prayers are with you all through this journey! Take care and know that everything here is fine!

Laura

Anonymous said...

Heck, I'd be scared to...especially since I know all you guys! :)))) Awesome to see the transformation in three days time. I love the analogy of the plant...it usually takes about three days to start catching on. I am sure he will blossom like a rose! I suspect your bed and a couple of cheese coneys would fit the bill right about now...when we finally get to meet him, I say we all meet at Skyline! :)) Keep it safe and enjoy...Love ya's!
Big Daddie

Unknown said...

Hey you all. It sounds like things are going well there and we are so excited that they are. I am enjoying reading your all's posts when get a chance. He sounds like a champ. Looking forward to meeting him. Hope it continues to go well for you all.
Brittany

Emily said...

You guys are amazing! What a blessing for everyone involved!