Sunday, November 29, 2009







What an emotional and wonderful day. We met with the local social worker and our lawyer this morning. They prepped us on what to expect and an approximate time line of things to expect. Before we knew it (like within 30 minutes) they said, "all right, lets go". We of course had a bunch of emotions, excitement, nervousness, and happiness all mixed together not really knowing what to expect. The orphanage (Hogar Maria Bordoni) is only about 5 miles from our hotel. It's up the mountain and has an amazing view of the whole city of Loja. We kept imagening this small town up in the mountains but there are over 100,000 people that live in the city. We're at about 8000 ft. above sea level and the clouds hang over parts of the mountain peaks. Absolutely beautiful. Upon arriving we sat down and met with the nuns prior to meeting Marcelo. A few minutes they brought him out. He was emotional and anxious wondering if we were taking him immediatly. But after playing a little and going outside he warmed up very quickly. We played on the playground at the Hogar and as we left for lunch the main nun Hermana Conchita said, "give your Mom and Dad a hug and he came over and even gave us both kisses on the cheek. A very sweet and heartwarming moment for us. We came back after lunch and he met us at the door. We took a walk to his school and met his teachers. They showed us some of the work they have been doing and he showed us where they play. It was fun to get away from the Hogar and see where he goes for school. We went back and played with balloons and bubbles we had brought. They were a hit with all the kids. He is now calling us Mami and Papi whenever he wants to show us something. By the end of the afternoon we had quite a few quiet moments with just him walking, coloring, or reading to him. It was nice since we have had all the kids following us around. They are so sweet and precious. As we were leaving Marcelo sat in Jill's arms and kept saying, "no te vayas, no te vayas", which means "don't leave, don't leave", it was very emotional and also rewarding to know he felt that closeness after just one day. We are so blessed that he has been in this place where he has received wonderful teaching and most importantly they have given the children love. What a great day.


We got back to the hotel exhausted but got to talk to the rest of our kids via skype. It was great to see them. We miss them so much as well. I was emotional seeing them as my perspective of the importance of family has changed since the day began. What a blessing a family is!




Rich




P.S. We can't post pictures of Marcelo until we're all home, but there are a few back shots and scenery that we'll post. Thanks everyone, we love you all.


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had tears reading about yours and Marcelo's emotional day. How sweet he kept telling you all not to leave. What an awesome experience and it has only just begun. love you guys, you will continue to be in our prayers.

The Wach Family said...

I think my breastfeeding is making me hormonal because I am sitting here crying. I am so thankful your day went well. We are praying for you constantly. Marcelo is a lucky little boy.

Jamie and Jennifer said...

I glad I am not the only one....having read the other comments. I too cried while reading your post...I felt the sweetest spirit! How wonderful!
Our family is praying for you and Marcelo!

Anonymous said...

Sure glad everyone else felt emotional reading the blog...being the tough guy I am I had to stop reading to recompose myself...Stay safe and follow your promptings...Love ya's!

Anonymous said...

By the way this is Big Daddie..had to use Alina's account..yesterday I posted and it said Tasha and Daniel Serpa...Just who am I ?

Jessica and Street Russell said...

well, there seems to be a pattern going on. i too starting crying and had to get up and get tissues in the middle of reading this. i am so excited and happy for you all. and i am so glad that he has responded and such a positive way! sounds like hes BONDING!!!!! haha LOVE YOU!

JudyMarie said...

Well, apparently tears are in order because I cannot help but cry tears of love and gratitude for the blessings of this day for you both and Marcelo! Our prayers will be with you all for tomorrow. How wonderful to be able to share this through technology! Please know that we love you so much! Love, Mom XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

This really is Alina now...
Sheesh Rich! You made me stinkin cry! :) I cant wait to meet him!!! I'm so excited! I love him already!!!

Anonymous said...

This Is Momma Rene Now! Hey, I don't even have a facebook account, peops. --Yes, I got emotional also. He sounds so sweet. What a wonderful day. I can't wait till the first time that he calls me "Abuela". That will be the best! Love you guys!

Jeff, Erin, Macy, Owen& June said...

Rich and Jill! Hi it's Erin Richards Jeff's wife! I saw your news on facebook and had to come check out your blog! It is so touching to read about your experiences so far! Adoption is the most amazing thing in the whole world! We love hearing great stories like yours. I don't know if Jeff has ever told you, but we have adopted both our kids. It is such a spiritual journey where you can't help but feel the Lord's hand in everything!In fact, we have our papers in trying for a third right now. We would love to hear more about how this all came about and how you got to where you are! Best of luck with everything!

blairsblog6 said...

Yeah! All the joy at finally meeting Marcelo comes through so clearly in your post and on Jill's face. I can't wait to meet him. Tell the kids, Jayme, and Tasha to call me with an needs. Love you all!

Sherrill said...

This will be such a great keepsake to have daily journal entries of all the scenery and emotions! Maybe you guys are already planning on this, but we've used a super easy website to publish our blog as a journal/scrapbook yearly. I can give you that info. if you need it. Also great that even though we're so far away we still get to feel a part of everything. Thanks for sharing (and starting my day off emotionally).

Bill and Freddie Ann said...

What a blessing this is to your family. This little one must already feel the blessing of being a part of your family to not to want you to leave after just one visit. What a special gift you are to him and him to you. Count your many blessings! :)

Button Up said...

Happy Tears for you all--when it's right it is just right! Love and many prayers, Buttons

amie said...

Im reading and following along with a prayer in my heart for you two and marcelo. Oh yeah, and tears in my eyes too. Thanks for sharing

Laura said...

If the people of the world had hearts as big as you two do.. The lord is surely using you both to set an example for me. I admire you both and am awed by your convications!